The source for today’s recipe is Country Living Magazine. Easy, flavorful, and healthy. January is a good time to buy organic sweet potatoes. They are on sale now as they are a fall/winter crop. With little sugar, 1/2 cup is sufficient, the sweetness comes naturally from the sweet potatoes. Comfort food at its best! Makes a great lunch box treat!
Yields: 1 loaf
- 1½ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- ¼ c. light-brown sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. leftover mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- Nonstick baking spray with flour
- ½ c. chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl and using an electric mixer on medium, cream butter, sugars, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Blend in sweet potatoes; then eggs, one at time. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in thirds; blend just enough to combine.
- Spoon batter into a greased 9-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle pecans atop batter. Bake until cake tests clean when a skewer is inserted into center, 65 to 75 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool, about 15 minutes. Release cake from pan to cool completely.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
The following critique of the Baked Goods submitted for evaluation on 1/26/16 to the Kefauver assessment panel were as follows:
A) The first choice item was the Grapefruit-Pecan Sheet Cake, which was moist with a compact consistency that gave the product a feel of fullness. It also had a delicious light sugary icing that, when chilled, gave a “I want more of this” taste. Excellent product!
B) The Double-Chocolate Snowquake cookie was #2 on my vote because of the deep thru chocolate consistently in the taste. My vote shows appreciation for good chocolate products.
C) The Banana-Blueberry Muffin was a very good product and a good consistent taste throughout.
D) The Sweet-Potato Poundcake was good and tasty but lacked a certain zing just slightly missing the full taste bud test, but a tasty product anyway.
Overall, the products were very good and delightful to taste and enjoy but the grapefruit cake took the top prize. Thank you for the privilege of enjoying your talents. The Kefauver Food Taste and Evaluation Group.